How it all started
SB Helios was founded 1 September 1998, when two Utrecht student badminton unions merged. The youngest of them was the Federation Internal Competition Badminton (FIKB), founded on 1 September 1988. This union focused on internal competitions among men’s, women’s and mixed teams. The other union was Badminton Club Utrecht Students’ Sport (BC USS). This union represented Utrecht at a national level. At the end of the 1970s, BC USS played in the national leagues.
SB Helios has got four honorary members:
- As of 1 July 1999, Irene Jansen has been named honorary member. She had trained the two former clubs until 1998.
- As of 6 April 2011, Betty Jansma has been named honorary member. She had been trainer from 2004 till 2011. She has been a key factor at SB Helios and guided us from playing 3rd class up to the top class ('hoofdklasse').
- As of 16 October 2016, Rob van Nuenen has been named honorary member. He participated in many committees and started the joined tournament.
- As of 18 September 2017, Johan de Rooij has been named honorary member. He helped Helios to become more than a sports club, and started many social activities.
- As of 14 September 2020, Jelles Stuurman has been named honorary member. He has been deeply involved with Helios, and has taken ISBT to a whole new level.